I just received notification that my new Boss RC-505 Loopstation was shipped. That means I’ll likely have it in my hands to check out tomorrow afternoon or maybe morning even. I’ve been quite excited about this release mainly because of the five tracks, loop effects, and table top design. I’m also excited to use this not for what it was intended, a beat box looper, but rather a synth looper. I currently own the Boss RC-300 and while it’s a very good looper, the Boss RC-505 has more features that I wished were on the RC-300. I have some questions though and I hope to answer them tomorrow when the Boss RC-505 arrives.
1. How much can I control the RC-505 with my feet? I am hoping I can start, stop, and overdub record with a foot pedal. Indeed I can do that with my hands, but there are some synth parts that might make this difficult. Having the option to start/stop/mute/continue would be fantastic.
2. Are the effects global or can I record or use the effects per loop track? I believe this is already answered in the demo videos and catalog, but I’d like to know for sure how flexible the effects are with looping.
3. MIDI! Oh yes! How well does the Boss RC-505 sync with a drum machine or the Boss RC-300. Likely the RC-505 has to be the master, but will a drum machine stay in sync? We’ll see.
4. Boss RC-505 Manual – It will be nice to also have a manual to check out all the possibilities. Boss seems to be a little slow in releasing the manual. Likely I’ll get a Japanese manual since I’m in Japan, but hopefully soon an English one will be posted.
5. Size! I’m very curious about how big the Boss RC-505 is and whether I’ll be able to set it on a synth instead of a table or dedicated stand.
Those are basically the main questions I have. The five tracks is huge with the Boss RC-505. Although three was great, there is a lot you can do with five. Plus you can load or dump the tracks as WAV files for further editing in a DAW.
The Boss RC-505 is going to be a lot of fun. I just hope it allows me to do a little bit more with my feet using external pedals. I’ll find out soon!!