Today I brought home an old vintage Roland JV-1000 workstation given to me free by a guy at a local second hand shop. The keys were leaking the infamous red epoxy from the weights mounted underneath the keys. The sales clerk didn’t know what to do with it, but remembered I took the Roland XP-80 off his hands a while back with the same problem. I gladly accepted the keyboard and after removing the keys at home I found the red epoxy leak to be luckily in it’s early stages. This means that I really only have to clean the keys, remove and re-glue the weights, and clean a bit of epoxy off the metal chasis. No red epoxy was found on the felt strip or on any of the PCB board components. In about a week I should have it up and running as good as new. Inside the Roland JV-1000, I also discovered it was equipped with the VE-GS1 Voice Expander card which increases the polyphony and multitimbral parts available for sequencing.
Overall with the exception of the epoxy key issue, the Roland JV-1000 is in near mint condition. There are no scratches, dings, or any bad markings on the keyboard. I powered it up before I removed the keys and the everything seemed to work perfectly, so I’d say it was a pretty good day today. It’s amazing how this morning I had no idea I would be walking into a store and walking out with a free Roland JV-1000 Workstation. You never know what you’re going to find in these used music shops here in Japan.
I successfully removed the keys and soaked them in a solution bought in Japan called Magic Cleaner. It’s orange scented and after a couple of days it dissolves the epoxy without causing any damage at all to the keys or other parts of the key bed. I used the exact same stuff with my Roland XP-80 so it’s pretty much my go to solution for cleaning the red epoxy. I then cement the weights back onto the plastic keys. I also use another super glue to seal the grooves around the weights to ensure they stay in and nothing else gets out. Finally I have this super ultra thin felt that I cut strips and layer over the original. It’s super thin so it doesn’t cause any noticeable difference in the action. I only layer the felt to cover up any epoxy spots to avoid sticking. It works really well. I can use white for the top and green for the bottom if necessary. Finally I put everything back together and use Super Lube PFTE grease for the areas that require grease or where I removed it. Once put back together, everything works good as new.
Here’s a quick video I found on Youtube of someone giving the Roland JV-1000 a quick demo.