Hearandplay GMTC Gospel Musician Training Center Review
This is probably less of a review and more about my initial thoughts on the GMTC Gospel Musicians Training Center as I only joined yesterday, however, I thought I’d just call it a review as it may end up that way anyway.
First I should mentioned that I am an advanced guitar player and a keyboard player that is basically progressing from the intermediate stage heading into advance. That’s all subjective I know and in the end it probably doesn’t really matter, but it does give people an idea where I’m coming from. I also don’t attend Church or have I ever in the past. ( No reason for this other than I simply wasn’t raised going to Church. Now I live in Japan which makes access pretty difficult. ) I love Gospel music primarily for it’s style and how soulful it can be. It’s wonderful style of music and very current I must say. I enjoy all types of music, but particularly enjoy Jazz, Funk, RnB, Blues, and Rock. Gospel Music pretty much covers all those genres very well which is why I am so glad to finally get involved.
So, I set out to find an alternative online instruction resource which lead me to the GMTC Gospel Music Training Center. Which is INCREDIBLE! Yeah, it’s that good. I must say first, I’m not a huge fan of the marketing tactics of HearandPlay, but they do work and ultimately they got me to sign up so you can’t knock it too much. I will admit it’s in your face marketing, but again it works for Hearandplay very well so I do respect it. I did have a lot of trouble finding info about the program which is why I decided to write something here about GMTC for those looking for additional info. It should be noted that it’s not easy to part with hard earned money, so I took a good looooong look at GTMC before signing up and in the end I went for it. I’m so glad I did. Here’s why….
The cost of membership is free for 30 days when you first start. After that it’s $37.00 per month and there are “upgrade” packages that save you roughly 20% if you pay 6 months or one year in advance. Overall, I feel the price point is excellent for what you get and AFTER signing up I felt more at ease about what was offered. Again, I had to get into the Gospel Training Center to really find out any info. Payment is by credit card only which might make some people uneasy especially in this economy where banks are not lending and credit card troubles are abound. I would much prefer a paypal payment system, but ultimately this works fine for me at least. You also can apparently cancel within the 30 days and keep your free gifts, no questions ask. This apparently is easy, but I don’t plan on trying it. I like GMTC very much thus far.
Some features of GMTC Gospel Music Center are as follows:
1. Each Video Lesson links to a Youtube video of the original song to get an idea of what you’re learning to play, an mp3 of the lesson, an ipod video of the lesson, mp4, midi files , pdf sheet music, and an iTunes link of original song for you to purchase. I really like the format of this as it covers all the bases. I also like how easy it is to find the original song for reference. Plus the downloads are FREE as a member. You don’t have to accumulate points or pay for any sort of download with respect to the lesson that I see.
2. There are two takes for every lesson. THIS IS BRILLIANT! You get a basic version and then a jazzed up or advance version. This is so fun to learn and work with. The GMTC does the BEST job of catering to all levels which I really like. All the chords, melody, and theory is broken down for each song along with ideas to create your own version. Sweet!
3. Members can rate lessons and read or write comments about each take. This is also fantastic for members to share thoughts, alternate versions, tips, and techniques about each lesson video.
4. You can view Online Members and initiate a chat with them via the new Chat Room. I haven’t tried this yet, but it looks simple. You can also view profiles and send messages to other members. There is no forum community that I see, but I find it’s not needed. The video comment section is enough and in my opinion the most relevant as it keeps comments on the videos available and music on the site. It’s more relevant, however, a forum may be nice for some people. I’m curious how GMTC would build it as they are pretty creative.
5. Lessons are broken down into categories which are as follows:
New – One new lesson each week on Friday. GMTC even tells you the upcoming lesson titles and songs for you to look forward to. I really like this as you KNOW something is coming and exactly when. Consistency is key here that most online training system lack.
Archives – It looks like one lesson is kept as an archive before you have to check the vault which contains all of the previous 200+ videos for gold members.
Beginners – Basic level instruction videos for those that need a place to start.
By Style or By Key – Organizes videos by key or style within the Gospel genre. Clever!
Organ – Video instruction that mainly deals with the organ. I like this variation.
Live Training – Twice a month, a live “Question & Answer” session is conducted. This again appears to be quite consistent.
Reality Footage – Live “behind the scenes” or on location video. Great stuff in here and fun to watch.
6. All members get a “Charter Member Special Discount” inside GMTC that gives 54% off on any DVD or download course (as long as you’re a member).
7. Vault Access – GMTC members who have been a member for at least 3 months will gain access to the video vault which contains all of the videos in the Gospel Music Training Center. Note that HearandPlay DVDS are not online as they are products. This apparently is all additional material which is FANTASTIC! If you upgrade your membership you get automatic access. This all sounds “shady”, but once I understood the system, it all made sense. Plus there is a wealth of info to work on before one will ever need the vault. It’s safe to say you have to pay at least $75 bucks for access if you had the free 30 trial month. This is really a deal after checking out all the tons of videos and info. GMTC could be more clear about this before people sign up, but it’s not really an issue once inside interestingly enough.
8. Loyalty Store Access – Here you have the opportunity to spend “loyalty” credits that you accumulate each month towards any of the HearandPlay DVD or download products. If I understand correctly, you get 1 credit each month and once you become a Gold member you get 3 each month. The price of DVDs is around 5 credits or so. Thus it could take 1-2 months to get a free product. NOTE that you get access to a viewing page and NOT necessarily the actual DVD. It’s unclear if you actually get anything other than access to the commercial product videos online. Nonetheless, you get to see and possibly download the material which is key.
9. Last but not least you get the “Foundation Lessons“. This is a 5 DVD online course that teaches you the fundamentals of keyboard/piano music. This is also BRILLIANT. The subjects are Fundamental Factory, Chord County, Pattern Paradise, Song Station, and Ear Elevator. You MUST view each lesson and pass a quiz with 80% correct before the next lesson is unlocked for you to watch. This is fantastic because it gives you a goal and a sense of accomplishment. The Foundation lessons are very well thought out, make sense, and will absolutely make you a better player. I really like this section in the GMTC. Note that this section follows or could be the exact same as the 12 disc package “MUSICIAN TRANSFORMATION” as the info appears identical. This is cool!
10. Free gifts..Yay! Indeed I was given a couple of bonus videos that were well worth the month’s subscription price alone. To be specific you get a $49 two-hour GospelKeys 102 along with a 45-minute mystery disc loaded with extra surprise tutorials. I haven’t received this yet, but I’ll update you when I do.
11. TWO Instructors offer lessons in the GTMC Gospel Music Center, Jermaine Griggs founder and Jonathan Powell. This is great because if one gets sick the other can fill in for consistency…laugh. I presume this is why there are at least two instructors on the site. I like this!! Plus there is variety and often it’s better to have a couple of different perspectives placed on one particular subject.
That’s not all, there’s probably more but I’ve only been on GTMC for two days!!!
Thus I highly recommend for anyone interested in Gospel Music, and especially those interested in Piano or Keyboard in general to check out the Gospel Musician Training Center. I am NOT an affiliate or fanboy of HearandPlay, but rather someone who just likes to play music and learn from all sorts of people. In fact, originally, the marketing techniques deployed by HearandPlay turned me off greatly, but ultimately the product was of high quality and it helped me become a BETTER PLAYER. That is the key!! The stuff just plain works as advertised and the GMTC system is legit. Plus they are consistent.
My goal of this post was to help those on the fence get access to some info that is “interestingly” absent online. I wish I had this info before I joined as it would have saved me all the worry and despair of whether I was going to get conned or not. I definitely would have joined with better peace of mind, but with that said, I’m thoroughly enjoying and “JAMMIN” on the material in GMTC Gospel Musician Training Center. I’m so glad I joined. Thank you!!
Now back to playing the keys!!